Friday, March 1, 2013

Bread and water assured

I love home made bread.  Usually I put all the ingredients in my machine at night before I go to bed and set the timer so it's done just in time for breakfast in the morning.  For me, there is nothing better then fresh, warm bread with honey drizzled on it.  Yum!!
It also makes me feel so humbled and grateful to our amazing God the way He provides for us.  Throw some water, honey, butter, salt, oats, yeast and flour in my machine and almost like magic the next morning is a beautiful loaf of bread.  I'm fairly new to making bread so not every loaf comes out perfect, or rises well, but at least it's always edible.
 Living on a fixed income money gets very tight.  Yet I know without a doubt we will never go hunger.  God always provides.  The other days I thought we were out of food and had no way to buy anything.  However while searching the fridge and cleaning it out I found a handful of peppers and some other veggies. I also found $10 in my wallet.  So I went out bought a few ingredients and supper that night was bread, cheese, and veggies.  Full tummies and healthy foods!  God is so good.  Last night I found a bit of vital wheat gluten so I used this recipe Vegan Dad: Veggie Lunch Meat It is a great homemade vegan meat without all the additives and the price tag that comes from the store bought options.  I also have created a vegan cheese sauce that I use in place of cheese.  Now, we have lunch for today.  Day by day God never fails.
It is easy to say God will provide, but as humans we still tend worry and work find solutions on our own.  I can imagine the Widow of Zarephath felt this same worry and stress.  When Elijah asked her for some bread she told him she had just enough for one last meal for herself and her son.  A heathen woman, in the heart of Baal worshiping country.  Her god wasn't listening, he wasn't helping her.  She was ready to give up and die.  Yet God still knew who she was, and still loved her and wanted to provide for her.  Amazingly, this woman did as requested and made Elijah food first.  The Bible doesn't say she was rewarded for her faith with a suddenly full cruse of oil and jar of flour.  It simply states the jar wasn't used up and the oil never ran dry.  It still was an exercise in faith to trust that daily that they would have enough.  However that faith was all God asked for. 
Psalm 55:22 says "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken."
1 Peter 5:7 says "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 
We serve a God of love, a God who is intimately involved in our daily lives and never leaves us alone.  How thankful I am for such a wonderful God!  

No comments:

Post a Comment