Friday, November 22, 2013
Taking off the mask
Last Saturday my daughter decided to hide while we were out hiking. She has Asperger's and from what we can understand it seems to stem from this deep desire she needs to feel wanted. Having so many people searching for her some how fills this need. I've been truly humbled this past week to have had so many people reaching out to my family to offer words of encouragement, prayer and support. In the process I learned something even more beautiful. We aren't alone. While I cannot say I'm glad that this struggle with my daughter has been all over the media outlets I am glad for the changes it has brought. In the process of trying to reach to us I heard from each person a pain, a hurt, a struggle they deal with. Something they too try to handle alone. So often we feel that we have to put this mask on for the world to see that we are in control and have our lives together. No matter the reality we want people to see this. Not only does this a disservice to ourselves but actually to those around us as well. Think about it. You are your harshest critic, but who are you comparing yourself to? Those masks you see around you. You don't really know the hidden secrets of that person's heart, you see a mask they put on when they step outside their home. So you feel inept, weak, and guilty. It leaves you wondering why you can't be as good as those people. This is the work of the devil. He feeds those lies and will do whatever he can to distract you and get you to take your eyes off Jesus. For this moment in time I was given the privilege to see behind those masks and see I am not the only one struggling. In my devotion time God pointed me to Galatians 6:2 We are advised to help carry each other's burdens. God has given us a circle of people around us to help us bear our burdens and so we can support them as well. By taking off the masks and allowing those around us to truly see our weaknesses they can feel safe to take off their own masks as well. Through this process we can disarm the devil and his ploys and learn to grow into the people Christ needs us to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment