Monday, June 2, 2014

What are you looking at?

I hate fear.  It leaves me feeling weak, helpless, and without a sense of control.  A few weeks ago the kids and I went on our annual summer road trip.  While near Las Vegas we decided to go see Hoover Dam.  I'm not comfortable with heights, but I wanted to drive over it to prove that I could do it, push through the fear.  As we drove across I was rather surprised how easy it was to do.  I was feeling confident and strong so we decided to get out and walk on the dam.  As we neared the wall I saw how low the wall was and I started getting nervous. Then my eldest started leaning over to take pictures and my younger two tried standing on tip toe to see better.  I went into a panic and before we made it halfway across the dam I made them turn back.  All the confidence and strength was gone; now I only felt failure. All the logic in the world couldn't get me to keep walking across that dam.I could drive on it because I was in control.  I could probably have walked on it aone as well.  However, I couldn't control the kids.  Once they started leaning on the wall or getting to far ahead of me the panic set in. I wasn't leaving them in their Father's hands.
Google "fear quotes" and you will see thousands of sayings from people how to conquer fear.  Probably every leader and famous person has at one time or another addressed fear.  In the Bible God tells us at least 80 times to not be afraid.  Does that work though?  Can we conquer our fears just by sheer will?
In the Bible we read stories of armies going out to battle armed with their bows or swords.  If the army they are meeting is stronger or bigger what happens?  They drop their weapons and flee. Whether our fear is tangible like heights or spiders or more intangible like fear of failure or death God wants to be our weapon. If we focus on the enemy we'll drop our weapon and flee. It's only through a deep connection with God that we can push through and be victors.  Not our strength, but His.
Isaiah 41:10 says "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand"

The phrase "do not be dismayed" means to gaze anxiously about.  We start focusing on our fears and try to find a way out on our own.  The latest self-help book, a weapon, or tool.  We don't like to fear so we find a way to control instead.  However all God wants us to do is rest in His hand.  "I will uphold you" He says.  "I will strengthen you" He promises.  

Romans 8:31 should be our battle cry: What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 

No comments:

Post a Comment